Tuesday, October 15, 2013

My First Sale

  WARNING! THIS POST IS NOT FUNNY....JUST FACTUAL...

  Ok, I know I said this wouldn't be a sales blog, but when selling is my life, what more do I really have to talk about?

   I had only been working for Quality Chrysler of Greenwood for a few days when the lot became packed. I was told to do only my online training and not to talk to customers because I wasn't ready yet. Well, with the sudden influx of people, I had no choice but to go outside and try not to make a fool of myself.

  I was nervous and had no clue what to say. All I could muster was "Hi, I'm Shane. Would you like me to get the keys to this truck for you?" Luckily, the customer said yes. I opened up the doors to the last new 2011 Dodge Dakota for over 200 miles. I asked the customer if he would like to drive and he declined, so I got in the driver's seat and asked him to get in the other side. We left and went for a short drive in which I was absolutely silent. I finally pulled over and asked the customer if he was sure he still didn't want to drive. His expression was completely different. He eagerly accepted my offer and we swapped seats.

   We arrived back at the dealership and sat in the truck. It was an awkward silence, so I tried to break the tension. "Do you like this truck?" I said. The customer nodded with a smile. "If the price is right, will you buy it today?"

   "ABSOLUTELY!"

  We went inside and I sat the customer in an office.  I quickly retrieved Russell, a veteran salesman, from what he was doing and asked him what to do next. He smiled and walked me into the office. Together we got the customer's info and gave him a price proposal. After a few price cuts we agreed on a price and the customer was on his way to the F&I office to finish his paperwork.

  While the paperwork was being completed by the business manager, I took the truck to be washed. This is when I realized that this was too good to be true. So far everything had gone perfect, but now the truck wouldn't start. This was a BRAND NEW TRUCK! How could this be happening? The customer asked for his check back and left without a new truck.

   Normally something like this would discourage me, but something inside me felt so alive. I've never been the competitive type, but at that moment I wanted to win. It was a drive I have never felt.  I was on the service department like a hawk trying to figure out what the problem was with the truck so I could get it fixed and sell it. Once it was fixed, I proceeded to call the customer for 3 solid hours until he got fed up with hitting ignore on his phone.

   "The truck is fixed. It was just a sensor. I have it ready for you with the same deal as the other day if you are still interested. I know you love this truck."

   "I'm on my way."
  
   Later that day my tie was cut, and I have never looked back.



No comments:

Post a Comment